For over 20 years I have worked as a freelance writer, editor and publisher, specialising in health and social issues. I cover health policy and services as well as clinical subjects. I am a
member of the Medical Journalists Association and the Guild of Health Writers.
Recent work includes:
The Health Foundation/Department of Health – Producing a "user friendly" version for healthcare professionals of a major piece of academic research.
NHS Clinical Commissioners – Two learning/guidance resources for those commissioning local health services
British Heart Foundation – Updating and editing a series of patient information material
Breast Cancer Care - Writing new resource material making the case for the charity's specialist services to healthcare professionals and service commissioners.
Other roles I have held and projects delivered include:
- Writing for national newspapers and magazines, for example:
- The Times, The Sunday Times, The Guardian, The Mail on Sunday, Mother and Baby, Prima, Parents
- Subediting and/or writing for The Lancet, Nursing Times, Health Service Journal, BMA News, Asthma News, Diabetes Update, British Journal of Intensive Care, Community Outlook, Journal of Wound
Care, Professional Nurse
- Editing Health Visitor journal (and also in its more recent guise Community Practitioner) and Frontline (the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy's fortnightly magazine). I also edited and
published Health and Homeopathy for the Homeopathic Trust.
- Writing and editing for the Department of Health/NHS, the NHS Clinical Commissioners, the Royal College of Nursing and the Royal College of GPs.
- Producing resource material for healthcare professionals, both directly with clients and also in conjunction with public relations companies.
- My book "The Medical Detective: John Snow, cholera and the mystery of the Broad Street pump" (Granta, 2007) won the British Medical Association's book prize for the public understanding of
science and the Medical Journalists' Association's Tony Thistlethwaite award
- My book "The Inheritor's Powder: A cautionary tale of poison, betrayal and greed" was serialised on Radio 4 as Book of the Week.
- Member of the Medical Journalists' Association
- Member of The Guild of Health Writers